Saturday, January 5, 2013

33. Duck Soup

1933; dir. Leo McCarey; starring Groucho, Chico, Harpo, and Zeppo Marx, and Margaret Dumont
My views: 10

I've seen nine different Marx Brothers movies in the last 10 years, and this is by far my favorite.  It's completely ridiculous, as all of their films are, but I think each of the brothers is at his best here.  Groucho is at his wittiest, Chico is at his most obnoxious (in a good way), Harpo does some of his best slapstick, and Zeppo actually gets to do something besides stand around.  And let's not forget poor Margaret Dumont, who accepts all of Groucho's creative insults with the utmost grace and dignity.  Another thing I love is that Duck Soup manages to make fun of both politics and early film musicals at the same time, which are two things that are crying out to be made fun of.  "The country's taxes must be fixed, and I know what to do with it," Groucho sings to a crowded room.  "If you think you're paying too much now just wait 'til I get through with it!"  And all the people cheer.

Arguably the best scene in this movie is when Chico and Harpo both dress up like Groucho.  Two of the three of them (I'm still not sure which) meet up and mirror each other's actions for several minutes before the third one shows up.  This is a scene that has been imitated and re-used a ridiculous number of times in films and TV shows since.  I always take some pride in recognizing these spoofs when I see them.

Whenever I'm in the mood for a good comedy, this is a perfect option.  It's short and hilarious the whole way through, so I usually watch it when I don't have much time but need some cheering up.  While The Phantom of the Opera and Gaslight have helped me experience and explore deep emotions, Duck Soup provides an escape.  I think we all need that balance in our movie watching lives.  Not every movie is Oscar-worthy, nor should it be.  We need some fun, silly movies to keep us sane.  What's particularly interesting about Duck Soup, though, is that a lot of people now consider it one of the best comedies ever made; it's not just me.  It kind of surprises me how many people know what I'm talking about when I mention it, since often when I talk about my favorite films people just look at me like I'm crazy.  I got super excited once when I was watching a CupOfTeam video on YouTube and noticed a Duck Soup poster on their wall.

It's been a couple years since the last time I watched this movie, but I'll probably revisit it soon.  I could use a little more comedy in my life right now.  By the way, if anyone reading this knows why this movie is called Duck Soup, please tell me because I have no idea.

1 comment:

  1. I just watched this again, and I'm pretty sure it's Groucho and Harpo in the mirror scene, but I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete