Tuesday, January 8, 2013

31. The Sound of Music

1965; dir. Robert Wise; starring Julie Andrews, Christopher Plummer
My views: 10

I know I saw this movie before 2003 because I used to watch it on TV when I was young, although it's possible that I hadn't seen the whole thing in one sitting, and I don't exactly remember my first impressions.  But then in 2004 I went through a phase when I was totally obsessed with this film.  I started telling people it was my favorite movie of all time, partly because I wasn't really sure what my favorite movie was and it was one of the few I liked that I thought most people had heard of, but mostly because of Julie Andrews, whom I had come to regard as one of the most fabulous human beings on the face of the planet.  During my freshman year of high school (2004-2005), I listened to the Mary Poppins soundtrack every day after school while doing my homework.  (Sadly, I won't be blogging about Mary Poppins because I've only seen it nine times, but I had to mention it here.)  It took me a little longer to purchase the Sound of Music soundtrack, but once I did I started listening to it obsessively too.  There's just something about Julie Andrews's voice that makes me feel that no matter how bad things get, they will get better.  She's one of the few people I can credit with helping me stay sane.

But I don't watch The Sound of Music for Julie Andrews alone.  As I've mentioned, I love the songs, but I also really love the story and its message.  Maria thinks she has her life all figured out: she decided to be a nun, so even though she's not very good she's going to do her best.  Then her world gets turned upside down, and she finds a way of life that suits her much better.  In my experience, this happens a lot in real life.  The problem is, at first it's not apparent that things actually will get better eventually, so this movie serves as a good reminder.  It's really long, but it's worth sitting through for all the encouragement it brings.  And if nothing else, it's really nice to be able to travel to Austria for a few hours and enjoy its beautiful scenery without all the hassle and expense of actually going there.

As if all that wasn't enough, I think I was also drawn to this film because I've always kind of wanted to be in a big family, and I thought it would be awesome to have six brothers and sisters.  So there's a part of me that really wants to switch lives with one of the Von Trapp children.  I mean, if they each take one note they make up an octave, and they get to have Julie Andrews sing to them and make them clothes out of curtains.  How does life get better than that?  Okay, so they have to worry about Nazis chasing them, but sometimes that seems like a small price to pay.  I also really love the fact that they go to a song competition just to get away from the Nazis, and they end up winning the whole thing.  Because they're just that awesome.

This movie won the Academy Award for Best Picture, so if you want to read what I said about it two years ago when I was watching the Best Picture Winners, click here.  Also, this is the last film I've seen exactly 10 times, so the remaining 30 are all movies I've seen more than 10 times in the last 10 years.  So get excited and stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment