Monday, May 6, 2013

12. The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer

1947; dir. Irving Reis; starring Cary Grant, Myrna Loy, Shirley Temple
My views: 14

I feel like for some reason the rest of my family watched this without me before I'd seen it.  I can't remember if I had to do something else or I just didn't feel like watching a movie or what, but I think it's interesting to note that this is yet another film I was initially hesitant to watch that became one of my favorites.  But once I did see it, I loved it.  I think the first time I saw it must have been 2002 because I remember being really obsessed with it in 7th grade (which would have been the 2002-2003 school year).  I was particularly fond of the "you remind me of a man" routine (You remind me of a man. What man? The man with the power. What power? The power of hoodoo. Hoodoo? You do. Do what? Remind me of a man. What man? etc), which I taught to anyone who would listen and recited ad nauseum. I remember one day my best friend and I kept it going all the way through lunch, much to the annoyance of the people sitting around us.  We were in a writing class together that year and one of the assignments was to write a play with a partner, and our play included the "remind me of a man thing".  Like I said, I was obsessed.

Of course, this film has a lot more to recommend it than one clever comedy routine.  I mean, for one thing, it has Cary Grant, in all his ridiculously attractive, talented glory.  And Myrna Loy is, as always, simply marvelous.  I can't believe she didn't make it into more films on this blog because I love her sophisticated wit, and I particularly enjoy seeing her and Cary Grant play off each other (I watched Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House 9 times in those 10 years).  With Cary Grant and Myrna Loy together, you can't go wrong.  But I actually think one of the best aspects of this movie is getting to see Shirley Temple all grown up.

My grandma, who doesn't particularly like movies in general, loves Shirley Temple, and I remember watching films like Bright Eyes and The Little Princess at my grandparents' house when I was little.  This was probably her last good film, and she retired from movies soon after.  It makes me sad that filmmakers couldn't figure out what to do with her when she was no longer a cute little child because I'm pretty sure this is my favorite Shirley Temple movie.  She is so perfect in this role, and I wouldn't want to watch it with anyone else as Susan Turner.  I think it's interesting that in this, like many if not most of her earlier films, she again plays an orphan, since she was always good at eliciting sympathy from the audience in such roles.  But the way she fawns over Cary Grant's character is what really makes this movie stand out for me.  She is the perfect embodiment of a fangirl, living out every fangirl's dream: namely, being ordered by the court to date the object of your affections.  The moment this movie became one of my absolute favorites was the moment I realized that I kind of was Shirley Temple's character: in love with Cary Grant despite our age difference, which, considering that Shirley Temple is old enough to be my grandmother and he's too old for her, is quite significant.  This was the first time I had ever related to Shirley Temple, since straight-haired, completely uncoordinated child me never saw anything of myself in the curly-topped dancing wonder on my grandparents' screen.  Whenever I watch this, for an hour and a half, I can live vicariously through her, pretending it's me who gets to fawn over Cary Grant in shining armor.

But that's only part of the story.  Shirley Temple's character learns that just because you find someone attractive doesn't mean you're going to end up together, nor should you, particularly if he's much better suited to your older sister.  There is nothing inherently wrong with her crush on the attractive older artist, until she starts taking it too seriously, which is when everything falls apart.  So I think this film serves as a good reminder to people who are harboring celebrity crushes not to let their fantasies get in the way of real life.  I, of course, always follow this advice.  Well, usually.  Sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment